What comes to mind when you think of Nicaragua? Jungles? Volcanoes? It’s the largest country in Central America and home to more than 6 million friendly and welcoming people. It’s also an increasingly popular tourist destination. Warm weather, beautiful scenery, and substantial biodiversity coupled with affordable vacation rentals are a draw for tourists from around the world.
Read on to discover more about vacationing in Nicaragua while you and your family stay at your own Nicaragua Vacation Home at Nica Retreats.
Vacation Options Abound
Sometimes the hardest part of going on vacation is choosing where to go. Everyone has an opinion and wants to do something different. In Nicaragua all of these diverse interests can be accommodated. Whether you’re looking for an adventure ziplining through the jungle or want a more laid-back, relaxed vacation you can do it in Nicaragua.
Adventure Vacations. Adventure waits in Nicaragua! The country has one of the highest number of volcanoes per square kilometer in the world. Over 40 volcanoes (many of them still active) dot the landscape and lure hikers and naturalists eager to explore this unusual terrain. For our more adventurous guests, we recommend:
- Volcano Hikes. Nica Retreats offers several excursions to hike nearby volcanoes. Experience unusual sights like the cloud forest and fun activities like volcano boarding, while looking for rare animals found only in these unique environments.
- Fly through the rainforest canopy on a zipline and experience the thrill of touring among the trees.
- Nicaragua surfing is a loosely kept secret. The Pacific coast enjoys offshore winds almost all year round, which means there’s always a wave to catch. They aren’t too challenging either, making Nicaragua a great place for novice or occasional surfer to enjoy some time out on the water.
- Offshore Fishing. Nicaragua has great fishing offshore and inland. Sport fishing is good in Nicaraguan waters. The waters are relatively calm – something those who are not used to ocean fishing can appreciate! But that doesn’t mean you’ll be disappointed with your catch. The waters yield Tarpon and other game fish like Sailfish, Marlin, Yellowfin Tuna, Dorado, Gar, and Wahoo.
Nature and EcoTourism. Naturalists love Nicaragua. The unique topography includes Pacific lowlands, the Amerrisque Mountains, and the Mosquito Coast. The Caribbean Plate surrounds the country, which accounts for much of our volcanic activity. Together, these features create a unique ecosystem that has created a biodiversity hotspot. Professional and amateur naturalists alike find much to explore in Nicaragua including:
- Biodiversity. Almost 1/5 of Nicaragua is protected as national parks, nature reserves and biological reserves. An abundance of plants and animals call Nicaragua home. IN fact, it is estimated that there are still over 5,000 species of plants that have not yet even been classified.
- Freshwater Lakes. Two of the largest freshwater lakes in Central America are found in Nicaragua: Lake Managua and Lake Nicaragua. Lake Nicaragua is one of the only freshwater lakes in the world where bull sharks are routinely found.
- Canopy Tours. For a unique look at our natural environment, nothing beats a canopy tour. Getting up in or above the tree line yields some incredible views, not to mention sometimes the only views you’ll ever get of some species.
- ATV and Boat Tours. The best way to enjoy the Nicaragua coastline is by boat. If you’re lucky you’ll catch a glimpse of dolphins, whales, and turtles among other sea life. ATV tours are also a popular way to explore the country, especially the more rural areas where the traditional Nicaraguan way of life and customs are still observed.
- Jungles and Forests. Nicaraguan forests cover approximately 2.4 million acres. They are second in size only to the Amazon rainforest and are home to an incredible diversity of flora and fauna.
Family Fun. There’s something for everyone at any age in Nicaragua. Families find this to be an excellent alternative to most expensive island destinations. Nicaragua is affordable, requires a shorter plane ride from the U.S. than many island trips, and has just as many, if not more activities for families of all ages to enjoy such as:
- Beaches. What’s a vacation without a visit to the beach? Nicaragua is blessed with two different coasts – the Pacific Coast and the Caribbean Coast. Both provide plenty of opportunity to soak up some sun but if you want to surf, hit the Pacific. If you want to snorkel the reefs, head to the Caribbean.
- Volcanoes. Both active and dormant volcanoes can be hiked. Some dormant volcanoes have become very popular tourist destinations with restaurants and resorts located right at the rim.
- Fishing. Fish from shore, on the ocean, or on a freshwater lake. Book a whole or half-day excursion with a local guide or grab a pole and head out on your own. Anytime out on the water is a good time, whether you bring home a trophy fish or not.
- Surfing. Nicaragua has year-round surf but it’s not so tough that only pros can tackle it. The surf here is fun, consistent, warm, and sticks around all day so you can take your time testing our your skills.
- Dolphin and Whale Watching. Who doesn’t get a thrill seeing these sea creatures breach or play in the surf? Book a cruise and see if you get lucky with the chance to see thee magnificent creatures in their natural environment.
- Horseback Riding. It can get hot and sticky hiking around the forest or into a volcano. Let the horse do the hard work for you while you enjoy the scenery.
Relaxation. Sure, some of us take vacations to explore all day long, but there are just as many people who want nothing more than to kick back with a good book and a cold cocktail. Unplug for a week or two and enjoy these relaxing activities in Nicaragua:
- Yoga. There’s something incredibly relaxing about yoga in a the pleasantly warm Nicaraguan climate. Everything just bends, stretches, and moves easier. Enjoy an early-morning yoga sessions with the birds calling in the background or a sunset session that will help you unwind for the night.
- Spa services. Nica Retreats offers a variety of spa services. Book a massage or a facial and let someone literally rub your cares away.
- Holistic Counseling. Nica Retreats is unique in that we offer holistic counseling and custom healing retreats for individuals and couples. One of our owners, Megan Sihle, is a licensed psychotherapist who can help you create balance in your life for long-lasting satisfaction.
Explore Nicaragua From Nica Retreats
Nicaragua is a safe, fun, and affordable place to spend your holidays. Book a private vacation home at Nica Retreats to serve as your home base for your stay. Our homes are a great option for larger families or group vacationers since everyone can have a private home, but still be close to one another for daytime activities.
There is something for everyone in Nicaragua. Come and explore our beautiful country for yourself!
Contact Nica Retreats at +1-866-285-3567 to make your reservation today!